8.28.2012

Larabar Half Marathon!

The morning after I returned from Seattle, I ran my first Half-Marathon! I was pretty intimidated because I've always only run mostly 5K and  (1) 10K races -shorter distances. But 30 days before the race, I decided to do it-ha. 

The typical training plan for a Half is a very methodical 12 weeks...well, I jumped in at week 8! I began upping my mileage on regular runs and getting a sense for my natural pacing during longer runs. It got to be pretty fun and relaxing to head out on a 7 mile run, instead of intimidating. I usually hit a point after 2-3 miles where I felt like I was on autopilot; this is a crazy feeling because running shorter distances, you really push as hard as you can through the race. Longer races, I'm discovering, allow for some freedom to just "cruise."
My only goal for this was to finish. I knew what pace I typically ran so I had a time in mind but honestly I just didn't want to have to walk. And I didn't have to! 

This was the first half marathon that Larabar has put on...so fun to be part of the inaugural one!

The sunrise that morning, as I waited for the shuttle to the start line, was gorgeous!


I felt pretty good on the run up until mile 10...so exciting! Miles 10-13.1 were where I found out what I was made of-ha. It was a weird thing to have to concentrate so hard on my stride and yet also try not to think about how heavy and tired my legs were. I kept telling myself, "The faster the pace, the quicker you get to the finish line." ha. It wasn't until I saw mile marker 13 that I actually believed I might finish the race without walking. It was amazing and I got this weird burst of energy to finish strong! So thankful!

Sister was so sweet to drive up to be at the finish line! Here I am, coming around the final curve.

So happy to be nearing the end!



Done!

I crossed the finish line and gave Sister a huge, sweaty hug-ha. So thankful for God's grace to accomplish this goal! 



And my legs started cramping almost immediately-ha. 


My amazing, supportive Sister!!
I am anxious to do another one soon; it felt great! For now, at least I can check that off the bucket list. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment